Thursday, June 07, 2007

From Jeannie--MEME


I normally don't post stuff like this on my blog, but since Jeannie tagged me, the rule is I must. If I tag you at the end, you MUST answer. If you don't.....Well, I won't tell you what happens if you don't, because it's not a positive thing....MUHAHAHA. Here are the questions.

Four things you learned or experienced or explored for the first time in the past four years.

1. Photography. I don't recall exactly when my exploration began, but I found a hobby, a passion really, for something that makes me think I am creative (which I never thought before), makes me relaxed (which is difficult with my career), and makes me truly happy. I love the fact that people think I am "good" at something that I am so passionate about, and at the same time, I like the fact that I don't "care" if I am good at it or not. Even if every picture I took sucked, I would like photography because of how it makes me feel. I have had hobbies and interests in the past, but this is on a totally different level.

2. Confidence. I think I have always been somewhat confident. My parents both encouraged me and supported me in anything I did my entire life. But, I think it just happened last year that I started to really believe in myself. When I took the bar exam, I truly had myself convinced I failed. I started doing this thing to myself where I would set myself up to fail, so when I did fail, it would not be a big deal. Well, I did that again with the school board interview, and got that too. Passed the bar and got appointed the same very week. I sat back and said to myself, "You know what? You need to start believing you can do stuff like this. There is no reason whatsoever for you to think you are going to fail." So, if I fail. Fine. But, I am going into things now believing that I will succeed

3. Money Is Not Everything. Kurt and I have a very successful law practice. I have a nice house, luxury cars, and can pretty much buy what I want (within reason). I get to take awesome vacations, and don't have to worry about paying bills. BUT. This does not make one happy. Does money help? For sure. I don't have to worry about the things others do, and I am very lucky for that with the horrible economy in Michigan right now. On the flip side, I am stressed out. I work a lot of hours. I have little spare time. My job is my life, since I run my own business and am constantly thinking about things that need to be done, documents that need to be drafted. I can't just "leave the office at the office." I am not saying at all that I am not happy at all, because I am. I am just saying that money does not make everything perfect.

4. Enabling is BAD. We have a family member who has serious issues. She has stolen from her parents, lied excessively, etc. I am a huge forgiver, but there is a point where I just can't take it anymore, and can't trust anymore. If you steal from your parents in the manner she did, I really wonder if there is a point of return there. And when someone does not even realize that they did anything wrong, or try to fix the problem, and others just keep forgiving and acting like nothing happened, this is a problem too. Hence, enabling. If someone has a major problem, and I mean major, sometimes forgiving and not making the person get help is totally not helping the situation. Ever seen Intervention? Yea, that. Not just about drugs and alcohol addictions. I found that although I feel horrible about the entire situation, I am NOT going to enable this person. I doubt my actions mean anything, since most of the rest of our family acts like nothing has happened at all, but if my actions help, even remotely, than I will be happy that I could help this person. I know, this is evasive, but you get the point.

Four things I want to try new in the next four years.

1. Comfortable Public Speaking. I am confident in my knowledge of law and the areas we practice. I am confident in my ability in court. But public speaking terrifies me. Nobody would know this, as I don't come across this way at all. But every time I have to speak in public, I am freaking out inside. It is so odd. I follow through, do what I need to do, but it is not second nature at all. I want it to be. I want to learn this.

2. Driving a Stick. We have one car that is a stick shift. I kinda know how to drive it, but don't, because I am not a pro at it. Need to take Kurt and the car out more and become comfortable with this.

3. Rockclimbing. I want to start by going to a local gym that has indoor stuff, and then maybe escalate to minor outdoor stuff. I love being outdoors and exercise, so this seems like my kinda thing.

4. Learning Spanish. I bought a really advanced Spanish program in January. yea, that has barely been used. Need to use the program and LEARN.

That's it, my friends! I now tag: Rebecca, Lisa, Nancy, Alex, Sarah, Julia, Justine, Mindy, Rachel, Racheal, Heather, the other Heather, Kelsie, and anyone else who reads this blog! I am too tired to list out any other names......

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I'll do this tonight, and umm, Planet Rock, whenever you want to go lady!