Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Kansas City Trip Report

So, as most of you already know, Kurt and I went to baseball opening day in Kansas City, MO, this past weekend, from Friday night until late Tuesday afternoon. It was also our first flight post-253, and we were both pretty nervous about it. I really tried not to be, because I knew Kurt was freaked, but as I was stepping onto the plane to board, I had to take a deep breath before moving forward....Also, both times the pilot announced "flight atttendants take your seats to prepare for landing", I got REALLY nervous (since right then is when terrorist boy tried to started the fire trying to ignite the bomb). We survived (obviously), and I think I am ready to try flying further next time. Kurt had to take sleeping pills for botb flights, but he made it through much better than I expected.

Anyway, our flight there was fine, a little bit of turbulence, but nothing major. got there, got our luggage and took the shuttle to our rental car with Thrifty. Nobody in line, so we got the car right away, a Ford Fusion. Drove to the hotel, the Westin, in downtown Kansas City. Parked, checked in, then grabbed a snack at the hotel restaurant and crashed.

Got up on Saturday and headed to have massages i set up in advance at Solaris Massage. After that, headed to the Negro Baseball League Museum, which was really interesting and had some very kewl stuff to look at. Bought a kewl hoodie there. Went next and walked around this kewl outdoor shopping area called the Country Club District. Kurt bought some kewl sunglasses (since he somehow lost his old ones while setting up the new offices)

and I bought two shirts on sale at Ann Taylor Loft.

I got to go into a Cole Haan store (I have never been in the actual store, only shopped it online), which could have been dangerous, but ended up being OK, haha. The girl there complimented my purse, LOL....Always find it amusing when the people that work at those stores can pick out, from a mile away, one of their products. Especially since Cole Haan bags are not obvious, dont have logos and stuff all over them. Had dinner that night at a sushi place near our hotel called Kabuki.

Sunday, woke up, and since it was Easter, decided to be really lazy. We went and drove to see the Royals stadium. It was open, so we decided to try and get in to see it before the game on Monday. Walked right in! We went out into the seats and we were like the only ones out there, which was pretty kewl!!!

After that, headed to Country Club District to try and find a place for Easter dinner, and ended up at The Cheesecake Factory. Had lunch, then relaxed a bit in the room, then headed to Harrah's to play some poker. Played there a couple hours, where one of the dealers was really rude to us and told us to "Go back to detroit" (NO idea what his issue was at all, we did NOTHING to him, I think he had some issue with us being from out of town or something, the place was mostly locals), then headed to this kewl bar called 810 to watch the Red Sox/Yankees game and were thilled to see the Yanks lose.

Monday! Game day! Started out the day with massages (yea, it seems like we get these a lot, but since Kurt only gets them on vacation, he makes me get a LOT Of them while n vacay), and did a little shopping in an area called Zona Rosa. the Dillard's there is crazy huge, if Kurt had not been with me, I could have shopped a lot going through clearance racks........Had lunch, then headed to the game! Our seats were incredible. Right behind home plate (Section 125 Row R Seats 7-8). The game weather was perfect in the mid-70s. Fans were super nice. Game was awesome, close, and we won. Could not have asked for a more perfect afternoon. After that, played some poker at another casino, Ameristar. Watched the NCAA final game there as well, then headed to dinner and back to the hotel.

Tuesday, last day, boo. Packed up the room and headed to massages Kurt had booked. Best one we had of the trip. Then had a quick lunch and headed out for some antique shopping. They had some awesome stores in an area called Westport. I totally could have bought a lot at these stores, but since we were flying, I had no way of getting this stuff to the house! Awesome pieces of furniture in some of the places though. Why don't we have places like this in MI? Headed to the airport and home.

In non-Loriness, I took almost no pics. I was enjoying relaxing and did not feel like toting my camera everywhere, so I just took a couple shots with my iPhone and called it a day. Which is OK! I have the memories in my head, which are the most important ones. I am sure I will go crazy with pics on our next trip, LOL.

Anyway, hope everyone had a nice Easter and holiday.


RoseAnn said...

I'm glad your first flights since Christmas went well.

Sounds like a great weekend!

Lori H said...

Thanks RoseAnn!

Mindy said...

I was worried about you two flying - hoping everything would go flawlessly for you - I'm glad it did.

I'm glad you guys had such a nice trip! I had to laugh about you not taking so many pictures . . . I rarely do. I feel like I miss out on the "wide view" when I'm looking at everything through a camera lens or digital screen all day!