Saturday, August 21, 2010

Crazy Busy

Oh, the things I have done since last blogging on August 9...Or really, what things I have NOT done. My life is pure insanity.

Found out on Monday that Jessica is leaving the firm to move to Chicago and live with her boyfriend. Thus, I need to hire a new associate, which is always a draining process with the reviewing resumes, interviewing, then training. Jessica has now been with us for 1 year, 7 months, so all the experience she has gotten will now need to be taught to someone new. And, she is the one that does primarily what I do, so I will be running for a while covering two jobs really! :). We listed the job in a few different places (free), and have gotten a ton of resumes. Interviewed Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon, and have some more set for this week. Hopefully, we can make a decision by next weekend or sooner. We have not had a *bad* interview yet, and have had several who would fit in well, so that's promising.

Also hired a new assistant. Kory is going down to part-time with law school and Megan has class two mornings a week, so we need someone to cover their hours. Hired a friend of Megan's, named Alana, who just graduated with an associates in paralegal studies. She has only worked two part days so far, but she seems super positive and drama free, which are the two things I am looking for in employees now. I think she likes it so far too, which is great. Kurt let her sit in on a deposition on her first day.

We decided we are renting the Suite across the hall from ours. Since I finished the main part of my Mediation training, if I start taking Mediations soon, we really don't have room or the right set up in our current Suite, since all offices are occupied by attorneys and staff. So, the Suite across the hall is being redone to meet our needs. We are having a wall built and some doors put in. But, basically, it is going to be a kitchen area (frig, storage, TV, microwave, coffee pot, couch, table and chairs), waiting area (with couch and love seat), conference room (with table and chairs), office (desk and chairs) and storage areas for our supplies and closed filing cabinets. Everything has been delivered now with the exception of the waiting room furniture, which had to be returned since it would not fit thru the front door of the office. We went and picked out smaller stuff and it comes next week. Can't wait until it's done over there. It is already looking fab and it is really quiet and relaxing over there, which I love.

Went to a training this week which was the last in class thing I have to do for my Mediation stuff, which this was for Domestic Violence Protocol in Mediation. It was all day in Lansing, so I spent the night there on Wednesday night. Class was really good and I learned a lot of helpful things. Stopped on my way there at the outlet mall in Howell and bought some new jeans at the Gap, as well as some green carpenter pants for Kurt.

Also, a lot of work is finally getting done at our house as well. The drywall has been up for ages in the basement, but Kurt finally hired someone to mud, tape and paint the walls. Also, we got the roof tiles fixed where they were coming off and the ceiling fixed in my gym. Kurt's brother, Scott, is coming up soon to finish the tile in our bathrooms in the basement, which are about half done by Kurt, and, he is going to put in a tile floor in our basement, which is a HUGE project. cannot wait until all of that is done.

Have continued to research India for our December trip, and I really think that is where I am leaning at going to. It would kinda be like the Uganda safari, but different animals and scenery. About half the flight cost that it is to Malaysia, which is another place I really was looking into.

Anyway, gotta run, just wanted to post while I was thinking about it. I will prob do a secret blog about some other stuff, but will post here if I do so ya'll know! Happy Weekend!

4 comments:

Mrs. Lukie said...

Good luck with the interviews...I remember how draining it is to interview people & don't envy you at all.

Yay for getting the basement going again! You'll have to post pics after it's done.

I hope things slow down around the Haskell household soon!

Rebecca said...

Hope life slows down soon for you guys!

Nancy said...

Wow, you're busy!

Candice said...

I've heard great things about Malaysia and not-so-great things about India...