Ran yesterday in a local race in Flat Rock, which is held every year in memory of a high school senior who died while running cross country for the school (I think he had a heart attack or something?). Anyway, it was a great race. I ran my best time ever, 24:50, and got first in my age group. So, another medal, yay! Anyone have any ideas on how to display the medals in my office? Right now I have them hanging from my bookcase, but would like to do something fun with them.
On Friday night, I decided to run up to the rec center and work out, and while on the way, something flew into my eye. At the time, I stopped, closed and opened my eye, and it seemed fine again, although it was kinda stinging. By the time I got to the gym, I was fine. Worked out, came home. Next morning, eye was kinda bloodshot, but I thought it was go away. Went and ran the race, seemed to be getting worse. So, I took my contacts out and started wearing my glasses, thinking maybe it was my contacts. Still did not get better and this morning, was worse. Found an eye place to go into, and they looked at it and I guess no tears or cuts or anything, it just seemed "irritated" which could be from allergies, could be from the bug that flew in there Friday night, could be from my contacts. Anyway, they gave me some sample drops and called me in a prescription for the drops. So far, the drops seem to be working and my eye already seems slightly less bloodshot, which is good. I HATE wearing my glasses, and the dr wants me to wear them until my next appointment on Friday night. Boo.
So, San Fran! Have not uploaded pics, but thought I would do highlights of the trip, in bullet form! Here goes.......
- Flight there was great. Direct via Delta. Grabbed a cab to our hotel, the Omni, which is in the area known as the financial district in San Fran. Emily has told me NOT to stay in certain areas, so I tried to find a place that was in a good location, and had a gym with cardio and weights, as well as free internet. The Omni fit the bill. Our room was on the 13th floor and super nice. The employees at this hotel really went above and beyond with being helpful and friendly. When I bought tix on Stubhub, the front desk printed them for me for free, when really, I should have been charged through the business center. Bed was super comfy, shower was nice. Free safe to use in room. We had room service one night after a game, and the food was yummy as well. Did not eat in their restaurant as well, but that's only because I am anti eating in hotel restaurants. I generally think they are overpriced and not as good as venturing out.
- Anyway, first night we ate at this awesome vegetarian place near the hotel called Enjoy Vegetarian. Everything on the menu is vegetarian. No meat whatsoever. I had a faux chicken and fish rice meal, and we split hot and sour soup to start off with. AWEsome. Oh, and I had some kinda of vegan ice cream dessert with bananas. Went to bed after that, since we were still kinda on Detroit time. :).
- Day two, decided to wander down to Pier 39. Ended up taking a double decker bus tour, that started at 1030 AM. Thought it would be a good way to see the different areas of town and feel everything out, and it was. There was a stop at the golden gate bridge, which was kewl. Got out there and took some pics. Had lunch at Pier 39 after that, at a place called Neptune, and had a table overlooking the bay which was super nice. Had salad and soup there. Kurt got garlic fries that looked amazing. Wandered around Pier 39 after that, saw the sea lions, stopped and bought a tour to Muir Woods and Sausalito and a tour of Alcartraz for later on in the trip. Headed that night to the Giants baseball game. I was excited to see Lincecum pitch, but he had an off night. Game was super fun. We ended up sitting like a few rows back from Barry Bonds, who was at the game with his family. That was pretty kewl. The stadium is absolutely gorgeous, prob the nicest stadium in baseball. Comerica is my fav, but that's only based on the fact that the Tigers play there! :).
- Next day, we had brunch with my friend, Dawn, from high school, and her husband, Todd. We met at a place called Plant Organic, at Pier 3. Brunch was yummy, and we found out Dawn is pregnant and due in February. Super excited for her. After that we went and walked around the shopping at Union Square, and Kurt headed to Chinatown while I shopped some more and he had a massage. Ended up scoring some great deals at White House Black Market, and tried on a dress I loved at Banana, but since it was not on sale, I decided not to buy it yet since everything goes on sale there within weeks. It was from their new Mad Men collection, super retro. That night, we had dinner with Kurt's friend, Dag, at The Stinking Rose in Little Italy. My Mom had suggested the restaurant, and we liked it a lot. The soup was incredible.
- Labor Day! Woke up to catch our bus to Muir Woods and Sausalito. We were taken to the Pier and transferred to a smaller bus to Muir Woods. Got there, and walked around to see the amazing trees and forest there. Totally gorgeous. After that, drove to Sausalito, which is a gorgeous little town on the bay. Walked around there some, then came back to the Pier in San Fran. Once we got back, had lunch at a little hole in the wall Mexican place near the Pier, then headed to get massages in China Town. Great massage. And cheap! :). After that, we met up with Rachael for dinner at an Italian place near where she lives. Super fun night and nice talking to and seeing Rach. We closed the place down! At all of 1000 PM. Heh.
- Tuesday, we met up with Emily for lunch at a Thai place. It was awesome to meet her in real life, and I think we could have talked for the entire day. :). We went after that and walked Lombard Street and went to a couple stores on Union Street again. Emily had suggested one called Loehmann's, and I loved walking around the place. High end stuff at lower prices. We bought tickets to an A's game that night, and had amazing seats in the 1st row, visitors side. Game was super fun, and it was easy to get there taking the BART. Ordered room service that night for dinner. Oh, and Kurt caught a foul ball at the game! So that was super kewl.
- Wednesday, packed up our stuff. Headed out to Pier 39 for our Alcatraz tour at 1100 AM. Spent several hours there, then had lunch at another place overlooking the bay. Decided to get Thai massages after that at a place called Royal Thai Massage, then got ice cream at a cute local place and went to Ripley's Believe it or Not and wandered around. Had dinner at a really cute Italian place, then headed back to the hotel to grab our stuff and head to the airport.
- We worked out every day of this trip at the hotel gym and did a ton of walking in San Fran, so even though I ate like crap, I did get exercise in! :).
- The weather in San Fran was not what we expected. Last time I was there, it was in Feb, and MI was freezing so I thought San Fran was fab! This time, the weather in MI was 95 degrees when we left, so San Fran felt freezing to us! So weird. I think it was the first time I have worn pants since May, since I wear so many dresses and skirts to work and shorts at home.
**Me and Rach.
Anyway, we rated this trip as awesome. Loved the city and how much there is to do, loved seeing so many friends and people we knew. Loved getting to see two ballparks and loved how Kurt finally got to see Alcatraz. Only downside was being exhausted since we took the redeye back, we are getting too old for this redeye stuff. :).
We got the bikes back yesterday from the bike shop, good as new. I went running the other night and was terrified with each car that passed me, so I guess Im not totally over the being hit by a car thing, which is annoying, but I guess I should cut myself some slack.
Bought tickets to the Lions season opener at home, and we have awesome seats. cannot wait. Especially after they won today! Whoot! I can't believe they actually looked good. It's a shock. Hopefully, it continues! Can't wait to break my Haskell jersey out to wear to the game!
Kurt went to the dr yesterday morning for follow-up stuff from the accident and in having to get an MRI, go to rehab, and was put on two prescriptions, one for muscle spasms and another for pain. He also was given a shot for pain while there. My bruises are starting to fade, finally, but I still have some pain in my left calf and my hip/back where the car hit me. Ugh.
So, this is getting long...........Will post more soon with more pics. Hope everyone had a nice weekend.