Sunday, February 05, 2012

Super Bowl Snacks

So, we worked both days this weekend, which was NOT fun. However, it was necessary because of our amazing St Maarten vacay, so I will say I am OK with the being forced to work all weekend. I would not trade that vacay for anything. :). I did clear a lot of stuff off my desk, so that is always a positive thing.

Super Bowl Sunday is always a fun one in the Haskell household. We always stay home, and I make us snacks and we relax and have fun watching the game, the commercials, and the halftime show. I have not liked a half time show in forever, but this year surprised me and I loved it. I loved Madonna as a kid, and she still puts on a fabulous show. I really liked it all. She knows how to put on a great performance. And, she looks incredible! The game, meh. I am not a fan of either team at all, but I detest Tom Brady, so it was nice to see him lose. :).

So, I decided to make "healthy" snacks this year, since Kurt and I are so into eating well. I did not want to eat like crap just because it was the Super Bowl. So, I made the following, with some modifications.

So, first, I made Hot Cheesy Bean Dip, from the site Closet Cooking.

I will put what I modified in parentheses:

Ingredients:
1 batch refried beans ( I did not make the recipe, I just used a can of vegetarian refried beans I had on hand)
4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature) (I used Philadelphia fat free)
1 cup sour cream (used kroger brand fat free)
1/2 cup green onions (sliced)
1 batch taco seasoning (I made this seasoning and it was fab, great recipe)
2/3 cup salsa (extra liquid drained) (used kroger brand mild)
1 4 ounce can diced green chilies (drained)
1 cup cheese (grated) (used fat free cheddar kraft)

Directions:
1. Mix everything, reserving some of the cheese, in a large bowl.
2. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and top with the reserved cheese.
3. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until it is bubbling on the sides and golden brown on top, about 45-60 minutes (I cooked for 60 minutes)

I served it with Baked Tostitoes. Recipe was super yummy. Never would have guessed I used the fat free version of almost every ingredient. Also, this recipe made a HUGE serving. It was enough to feed like 6 people, at least. We did not even eat half.

Next, I made a mini-dessert I have been wanting to try, Cookie Dough Dip, from a site called Chocolate Covedred Katie I was really intrigued that people were raving in the comments about the taste, and it's made out of freaking chick peas, which are good for me. and cookie dough is one of my fav things in the world.

  • 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (1 can, drained) (250g)
  • 1/8 tsp plus 1/16 tsp salt
  • tiny bit over 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup nut butter (You can get away with using only 3 T. If you use peanut butter, it’ll have a very-slight “pb cookie dough” taste, so if you don’t want this, you can sub oil.) (I used almond butter)
  • up to 1/4 cup milk of choice (Start with 1 T, and add more as needed) (used skim milk)
  • Sweetener (see note below, for amount) (I used organic brown sugar)
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips (or Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips)
  • 2 to 3 T oats (or flaxmeal) (You can omit, but also omit the milk if you do)

Add all ingredients (except for chocolate chips) to a food processor, and blend until very smooth. Then mix in the chocolate chips.

This was super yummy! Did it taste just like cookie dough? No, but pretty damn close. And the combo of the ingredients, I never would have guessed it would be so good. Highly recommend.

2 comments:

RoseAnn said...

I want to try the cookie dough dip! Robert doesn't want to, though, so I may save it for a girls' potluck or something.

Lori Anne Haskell said...

Force him to try a bite when you make it, he may change his mind.....:). I forced Kurt to. I am a pushy wife, haha.