Saturday, September 09, 2006

I Trespass


Things have been so busy! At least it's not totally with work and non-fun stuff.

I got a new camera! YAY YAY YAY. I have been waiting for the new Canon to come out, and the site simply said "available in September". I want specific dates people! Anyway, I did not have to wait long. It came out on Tuesday. I found out on Wednesday. We went and bought it after a long day at work on Thursday. I just bought it with the standard lens, because I wanted to use it for a little bit before I decided on additional lenses. But, in using it the past few days, I know I need a telephoto zoom lens. My old camera zoomed up to 10x and this one does not. I need a different lens to do that. So, I bought another lens and some filters on ebay which should be shipped soon. So, click here to see my camera. It is the Canon Digital Rebel XTi. It is a great camera because I can grow with it as a photographer and continue to buy things for it that will make me able to do more with photography. So, this was one of the most exciting purchases I have made in a really long time. Since I took the bar, I have had more time to pursue hobbies and the like, and photography has really been the main one I have been practicing.

So, the night after I bought the camera, I went hiking at Sterling to test it out. It is going to take a little bit of getting used to, as it is much more advanced than what I was previously using. But, after hiking for about 3.5 miles, I really started to get used to it.

Today, we were supposed to work part of the day, but Kurt could not tear himself away from his computer. I wish he would have known that earlier in the day, as I was invited by a friend to go to this art gallery, and had to turn her down because i thought we were working. So, once I figured out Kurt was not moving, I headed out into Monroe to take pics. There are so many kewl places and things in my city, and I never really take the time to go see them. So, today I started. It was a lot of fun. I went to three different churchs, two small parks, and a boat launch. At the start of my trip, at the first place, it started POURING and I thought it was going to ruin the day, but it stopped after about 10 minutes.


I am getting more brave in my photo adventures as well. I was by this set of train tracks and a bridge today with a sign that said "no trespassing". Ummm, kinda ignored that, just a little bit. Really kewl thing too, which I was there (attempting to photo graffiti and ducks under the bridge, a train came! So, I got my first shots of a train, actually moving! That was pretty fun. Click here to see all my pics from the Monroe trip.


Oh, and exciting news! On Flickr, the site I use for uploading all my pictures and displaying them, one of them was selected by this online blog in Grand Rapids as their photo of the day. I guess when I posted the picture to the Grand Rapids Flickr group, I was also entering some kind of contest where they could use my photo if they wanted to on their online blog. So, click here to see my picture on their online Grand Rapids blog. It is the September 9th picture. The picture is from my trip to Frederick Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids with Rebecca and Lesley.

Here is the pic that was chosen:




2 comments:

Hobby Chef said...

I'm having lens issues right now ... I've tried out a bunch and I'm not in love with any of the results. At any rate, HURRAY on your new equipment. Have fun experimenting!!

Amy Martin said...

Yeehaw for the new camera and for your photo of the day award :)