Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Staying Positive


A website/blog I was on tonight really made me sit back and think.

We, and society in general, tend to get upset about really trivial things. Get mad at people for stupid reasons. Get worked up, yell, get stressed out, over things that could easily be forgotten.

I try to live my life by seeing the positive side of things, the glass half full. I try to take bad situations and make them good, but I still to complain, and get worked up about things that should not really matter.

Anyway.

An attorney I know, who worked in the downriver area (and now lives elsewhere) was diagnosed with glioblastoma, which from what I read, is a very aggressive form of brain cancer. She had a headache that would not go away, and proactively had it checked out, and this is what was found. She had surgery, she is having chemo. Through ALL of this, she stays positive. I am sure she has her down days, but her journaling of everything is so upbeat and positive. I wonder what I really have to complain about, EVER. She has a potentially deadly cancer, deals with constant medical treatments, and is only 30 years old.

Does it really matter if a restaurant screws up our lunch order? Does it really matter if that person cuts you off on the highway? Does it really matter if another attorney annoys me on the phone?

I think we all need to step back, daily, and appreciate what we have. Our family, our friends, our significant other, our pets, our careers, our health, whatever. Cuz you know what? No matter what is going on in your life, it could be worse. And if this individual I am talking about can stay positive, then so can all of we.

Right?

So, when things seem horrible, think about the good things. Take a deep breath. And smile.

7 comments:

Candice said...

Right on sister!!

Regina said...

Beautiful post!

Nancy said...

*likes* !

Anonymous said...

thanks girl. that's just what I needed to hear!

Andi said...

I totally agree, Lori. It reminds me of something I heard once: If we all threw our problems into a pile, I bet you'd take your own back before you took someone else's.

I am sorry to hear about your friend and hope that her treatments kick the C.

Unknown said...

Well said!! Great reminder :)

Rachael said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. How terrible.