Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Luck

So....I am doing something totally different, at least for me, tomorrow.

I really want to get involved in the local community, in a political kinda way. In specific, I really want to get involved with the local schools. Kurt and I fund a scholarship at the local high school, but I want to get more personally involved. I kinda know the counselor at the school through our scholarship, so I called him and asked what I needed to do to get on the school board. He told me they are elected positions, that the elections are not until next year, etc. He gave me a contact number to the super's secretary.

Then, late last week, he called again to tell me there was an opening. Apparently, someone quit or moved or something, and there is an opening that does not require running in an election. I have to submit information regarding myself by tomorrow at 3. So, i typed something up, and plan to fax it over tomorrow. Interviews (if called) are next week.
Wish me luck!

**Really, I am not expecting much from this. I am young, and not experienced at being on a school board. I figure, at the least, I will make some contacts and maybe friends, so if I want to pursue something in the future, this will show my interest and get my name known.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

That's awesome Lori! Good luck :)

Amy Martin said...

Good luck! Way to get involved :)

Lori Anne Haskell said...

Thanks girls! :).

Hobby Chef said...

GOOD LUCK! I think it's an awesome way to get involved. Our young people and their education deserve the interest of intelligent, active people.

Oh, and ... GO TIGERS!!! :-)

Kelsie said...

Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Motivation has *got* to be your middle name. Go get 'em lady!

And yes, GO TIGERS! I'm rootin' for them 'cuz of you!