Thursday, January 10, 2008

Speak Up

Had a board meeting tonight. Probably need some background here, but the board goes to conferences, takes classes, etc. Money is budgeted for these purposes, and the reason we go is to learn and try and obtain grant opportunities, not to have fun and party. Apparently, after tonight's meeting, I am realizing that the public seems to think that we use it for fun and not learning, or at some of them do. Some lady stood during public comments and basically lashed out the board for sending two board members to the Orlando conference this year because she thinks that the money could be spent better. It would not have bothered me if she would have presented herself in a better way, but she basically was attacking the board and acting like a really you know what. Kinda acted all victorious after she gave her little lashing, sat down, and practically high fived the people around her. So, when it was time for board comments, I actually spoke up, which is very rare for me, as I usually only say something if the need really arises. I know, I know. Those of you who know me are like YOU are QUIET?? But seriously, I am during meetings, LOL. Everyone on the board LOVES to talk, so shockingly, I am more quiet than many of the others. HA. Anyway, I basically started off by saying that I wanted to be on the board because I really believe strongly in public education and in education specifically. That I don't think that because I sit on the board and have obtained this position that I know everything or ever will. That I believe it is my duty to continue to educate myself, and I think everyone in the district needs to do that as well. That going to these conferences educates me further, and also brings money back to the district that exceeds what we spend to go there. Said that I did not go to these conferences for "fun" and "to waste the district's Money" and stressed that because I run my own office, I am losing money and business when I go to these for the district. Anyway, I am sure I am forgetting something, but....I watched the faces of those in the audience as I spoke and while nobody was giving me a standing ovation, the look of victory had left their faces and they almost seemed to have looks of guilt on their faces....So, hopefully, I got through to someone. They wanted answers on why we go and spend the money and I hope they got some. Who knows. Some of these people will just always think they are right, and my actions will be fruitless, but whatever, I got my point across to those actually listening, I think.

Work was crazy today. I have no idea how many phone calls I made, but it was too many, aargh. I think I drafted about 3 documents all day, which is NOTHING for me. The day started off crazy, as for some reason, our alarm did not go off, and we were running late to the point where I could not shower, which drives me insane. If I don't shower in the morning, I am off all day. Tired, feel out of it. Showers are what really start my day off right. Pulled my hair in a ponytail and headed to the office quickly. Of course, as soon as I get there, only like 15 minutes late, people are waiting for me, Kurt needs me to brief him on a custody hearing before he leaves, and we find out there is a huge accident on the highway which is going to make Kurt even more late because he has to take an alternate route. Need to make a stock trade in 8 minutes.......Seriously, it was like GO GO GO today. Luckily, we left early like 15 minutes so I could shower before my board meeting and I instantly felt better. Yay.

Kurt needed new shoes, so I found an awesome deal on some on Amazon and ordered them. I also really want to buy myself some black books, but am clueless on what to buy. Comfort is important and no really skinny high heels. Almost something to wear with jeans, or with dress pants, or even maybe with some work skirts....Any suggestions on pairs for me or brands you really like for comfort? I found these (in black) and these (in black) I really like, but I have no idea. If I am going to spend more than $100 on shoes, I want them to be nice. Those two I linked I already know I like the brands because I own other shoes in those brands that are really comfy, but I am open to other suggestions....

Nothing else exciting going on.........Except I want to send a shout out to Heather for her fabulous birthday week and the call from UPenn, which is awesome, a shout out to Rebecca for getting her credit cards paid out, and a shout out to Cheryl telling her I am thinking about her with the sad news in her family. Hugs!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I have no idea about boot recommendations, I just took a crap shoot on ebay and ended up loving them, but of th two you posted, I prefer the Sydney boot, it looks more comfortable and classic than the other one I find.

Amanda said...

When you all go to these conferences, do you present your learning / findings to the public either via meeting or a memo that's accessible to them? This might also help those who think these conferences are "just for fun."

Your response to that woman was great! Such is the life of those in politics... :P

Mindy said...

LOVE your response to the woman. Really. Good for you!

I have a pair of these: http://www.aerosoles.com/product1.asp?P=RISKYPIZNESS

and really - I don't think I could possibly love an inanimate object more. I love them so much I got them in brown AND black. I found them at a Famous Footwear for $49.99 . . .