Monday, January 07, 2008

What Privileges Do You Have?

I still do not get the point of this, and would really like to see the results of this study that were done, but nobody seems to know the answer.......Anyway, since everyone else is doing it, I have to as well. You know, like when all your friends jump off a bridge, you have to follow? Yea, kinda like that. LOL.

This meme is from “What Privileges Do You Have?”, based on an exercise about class and privilege developed by Will Barratt, Meagan Cahill, Angie Carlen, Minnette Huck, Drew Lurker, Stacy Ploskonka at Illinois State University. If you participate in this blog game, they ask that you PLEASE acknowledge their copyright.You are supposed to bold all the statements that apply to you, your upbringing, your family, etc.

1. Father went to college. (Eastern MI)
2. Father finished college. (Business Bachelors, Eastern MI)
3. Mother went to college. (Eastern MI, majored in education)
4. Mother finished college. (never finished because her and my Dad got married)
5. Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor. (does my husband count)
6. Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers. (This is an odd question, I don't know, I guess it you count money earned, than my Dad earned more money than a teacher, I think).
7. Had more than 50 books in your childhood home.
8. Had more than 500 books in your childhood home. Were read children’s books by a parent. (I was obsessed with reading as a kid)
9. Were read children’s books by a parent. (of course, my Mom had taught me to read by the time I was 4)
10. Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18.
11. Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18.
12. The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively. (Umm, not many people like lawyers, sadly to say)
13. Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18. (NEVER would my Mom have allowed this crap, LOL)
14. Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs. (no, but my Mom and Dad paid for my first year)
15. Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs.
16. Went to a private high school. (no desire to do so)
17. Went to summer camp. (yep, Lake Ann in Interlochen, I worked there one summer too and loved it)
18. Had a private tutor before you turned 18. (no need really, I was kinda obsessed with school and it came pretty easy to me)
19. Family vacations involved staying at hotels (not all vacays, but some did)
20. Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18.
21. Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them.
22. There was original art in your house when you were a child. (my Mom paints)
23. You and your family lived in a single-family house.
24. Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home.
25. You had your own room as a child. (most of the time. When we were really small, my sister and I shared)
26. You had a phone in your room before you turned 18. (no, but the family phone pretty much stayed with me and my sister at all times)
27. Participated in a SAT/ACT prep course. (nope, and I did very well considering)
28. Had your own TV in your room in high school. (no need, I did not watch much TV)
29. Owned a mutual fund or IRA in high school or college. (no, but I had some bonds)
30. Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16. ( I wish. I did not go on a plane until I was 21)
31. Went on a cruise with your family.
32. Went on more than one cruise with your family.
33. Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up.
34. You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family. (I did not know how much any of our bills where, my Mom never, ever discussed money)

I have 19/34 and still want to know what it means..........

No comments: