Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Reasons I Don't Like McCain (Among Others)

These are straight off the McCain website, located here: http://www.johnmccain.com/. There are many, many other reasons that I can't stand McCain, but we will start with these, which are listed on the "Values" page. Because apparently, if you have had an abortion, or believe in curing diseases with the use of stem cell research, or think gay people should have the same rights as everyone else, you lack values. Clearly. (please note my heavy sarcasm).

Overturning Roe v. Wade:

John McCain believes Roe v. Wade is a flawed decision that must be overturned, and as president he will nominate judges who understand that courts should not be in the business of legislating from the bench. Constitutional balance would be restored by the reversal of Roe v. Wade, returning the abortion question to the individual states. The difficult issue of abortion should not be decided by judicial fiat.However, the reversal of Roe v. Wade represents only one step in the long path toward ending abortion. Once the question is returned to the states, the fight for life will be one of courage and compassion - the courage of a pregnant mother to bring her child into the world and the compassion of civil society to meet her needs and those of her newborn baby. The pro-life movement has done tremendous work in building and reinforcing the infrastructure of civil society by strengthening faith-based, community, and neighborhood organizations that provide critical services to pregnant mothers in need. This work must continue and government must find new ways to empower and strengthen these armies of compassion. These important groups can help build the consensus necessary to end abortion at the state level. As John McCain has publicly noted, "At its core, abortion is a human tragedy. To effect meaningful change, we must engage the debate at a human level."

Protecting Marriage

As president, John McCain would nominate judges who understand that the role of the Court is not to subvert the rights of the people by legislating from the bench. Critical to Constitutional balance is ensuring that, where state and local governments do act to preserve the traditional family, the Courts must not overstep their authority and thwart the Constitutional right of the people to decide this question.

The family represents the foundation of Western Civilization and civil society and John McCain believes the institution of marriage is a union between one man and one woman. It is only this definition that sufficiently recognizes the vital and unique role played by mothers and fathers in the raising of children, and the role of the family in shaping, stabilizing, and strengthening communities and our nation.

As with most issues vital to the preservation and health of civil society, the basic responsibility for preserving and strengthening the family should reside at the level of government closest to the people. In their wisdom, the Founding Fathers reserved for the States the authority and responsibility to protect and strengthen the vital institutions of our civil society. They did so to ensure that the voices of America's families could not be ignored by an indifferent national government or suffocated through filibusters and clever legislative maneuvering in Congress.

Addressing the Moral Concerns of Advanced Technology

Stem cell research offers tremendous hope for those suffering from a variety of deadly diseases - hope for both cures and life-extending treatments. However, the compassion to relieve suffering and to cure deadly disease cannot erode moral and ethical principles.

For this reason, John McCain opposes the intentional creation of human embryos for research purposes. To that end, Senator McCain voted to ban the practice of "fetal farming," making it a federal crime for researchers to use cells or fetal tissue from an embryo created for research purposes. Furthermore, he voted to ban attempts to use or obtain human cells gestated in animals. Finally, John McCain strongly opposes human cloning and voted to ban the practice, and any related experimentation, under federal law.

As president, John McCain will strongly support funding for promising research programs, including amniotic fluid and adult stem cell research and other types of scientific study that do not involve the use of human embryos.

Where federal funds are used for stem cell research, Senator McCain believes clear lines should be drawn that reflect a refusal to sacrifice moral values and ethical principles for the sake of scientific progress, and that any such research should be subject to strict federal guidelines.

17 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very early in the election cycle I went to McCain's website to see what his stance is on the issues. What I saw there (what you've posted and so much more) reminded me of the current administration and the past. There didn't seem to be much new under the sun...

Lori Anne Haskell said...

I completely agree. His site is terrifying. And that people actually "want" more of the same and buy into the McCain maverick crap is beyond me. Mavericks don't vote with their party line 96% of the time.

Mindy said...

How does the most conservative Republican consider himself a Maverick, and how do others, when Mavericks are independent thinkers?

I'm so confused.

AmberDenae said...

I think that everyone of these are great and we should value human life and marriage is to be a holy union between man and woman (Hey, Biden even said that).

The President isn't so much of the problem- it's congress! The President can only do so much but if it doesn't pass house and senate, it's quite useless. Remember the first bailout bill?

I doubt Roe v Wade will ever be overturned and while I am not in favor of Roe v Wade, I do not base my whole vote on that one issue. I do believe that life is sacred however and abortion is such a heinous act. Barack supports partial birth abortion and that is beyond me! How someone can abort a fully grown human life boggles my mind and deeply grieves me.

While Bush has not done everything right and I have not agreed with Him on everything, he is not what so many make him out to be. I'm so sick of hearing that he is the main reason for our problems. Don't people know how our branches of government work?

Lori Anne Haskell said...

You know how when someone owns a business, if something goes wrong, it's ultimately the owner's fault (i.e. my fault with my law firm)? That's how I feel about Bush. If something goes right, HE gets the credit. If something goes wrong, HE is to blame. Same as any business. Just my opinion. He can't take credit when things are good and then push it off onto Congress and others when things are bad. He's the boss, he wants the control and power, and he's got it. He can't shy away from blame now, which is ALL he ever does. Must be something Clinton did 8 years ago, hun Bush? And while repubs blame things now on Clinton, when someone else becomes President, assuming a Democrat, they will then blame EVERYTHING on the new person and now on Bush. It's so hypocritical.

AmberDenae said...

I completely agree with that theory and I will be honest and say that there were many things that I agreed with Clinton on. He was generally a good President (minus his little Monica scandal) and our Country was in good standing under his leadership. I will be the first to admit that I haven't agreed with Bush on everything. I just don't see why everyone is saying McCain is the exact same as Bush. Sure, they're both Republican and McCain has supported a lot that Bush has done but he is a completely different person and he has different ideas and plans! It isn't fair to McCain to do what so many are doing.

I really don't understand what Obama is going to do at all?! I mean I have researched him and his record of "change" is skeletal. He is a follower and he is merely a puppet. I do not see him doing anything good for our nation. He wants to disarm us, have tea with Ahmnadinijad, and his tax plan is bogus.

I think right now both campaigns are making a whole lot of promises that they just may not be able to keep.

I look at records though and from what I see, Obama hasn't done much to "change" anything nor does he or his wife respect our Country. In fact she even said that she has never been proud of our nation. His connections with terrorists (Bill Ayers) and that whole thing with his pastor is all so crazy! Are people blind? How can he sit under that authority for 20 years and not even know what was being said. He obviously does not have very sound judgement.

How he is even a candidate is beyond me!

Lori Anne Haskell said...

McCain has voted with his party line 96% of the time during the Bush administration. So, only 4% of the time has he had his "own" ideas. That's just not enough for me.

Jennifer said...

Let me clarify something. I understand perfectly well how our government works. I have several college degrees and can intelligently discourse on the workings of this government (and the governments of several other countries as well, for comparison). Because the policies/values/statements on McCain's website remind me of Bush does not mean I blame Bush for everything that has gone wrong in this country during the past eight years.

However, I do blame Bush for many things, and McCain's record for voting with Bush tells me he's not who I want for President.

AmberDenae said...

Well I would personally rather have a President that has the same voting record as Bush than have a President who has connections with domestic and foreign terrorists and who would like to disarm our country, who was against the surge (which has been very effective) and who would like to surrender in the war on terror. He is dangerous and his plan to "fix" the economy is bizarre.

Lori Anne Haskell said...

Just because you have "known" someone in your life you is a terrorist or had issues does not mean you "have connections" and want to "disarm" this country. And this war has been a load of crap. I believe he has given us his action plan to get our troops out of there quicker than Bush would (since Bush wants the troops to stay there pretty much forever). I want our guys to come home. There have been so many pointless deaths over there, to give Bush the satisfaction of having been part of a war and finish what his Dad started. There was no reason for us to be over there in the first place, and they don't even WANT us there.

AmberDenae said...

That isn't true. He definitely has connections with Bill Ayers and he wasn't "just another guy in the neighborhood". Obama kicked off his career with Bill Ayers in his living room! I believe that, that is enough connection for me to believe that he does not have very sound judgement.

As for the war, Obama says a whole lot of crap. We are not air raiding villages and yes, many do want us there because they want freedom, democracy. We are helping, not hurting. We've built schools for children and we're there to protect them. It is highly disrepectful to make notions about our troops that Obama has made.

Lori Anne Haskell said...

Just because one has "hung out with" or "been in the same room" with someone questionable does not mean that they are automatically "bad" themselves. I represent child molestors, spouse abusers, etc. and am in the same room as them and stick up for them in court, and it does not make ME a bad person for it. I am just doing my job.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this, I think. Repubs will take and run with ANYTHING at all with Obama, trying to make him see terrorist oriented, because that is the ONLY way they will win, putting fear into others. That may have worked with the last election, but I dont think it will fly this time, hopefully.

Jennifer said...

Lori, I did a google search on Obama and Ayers and found article after article (NY Times, CNN, Washington Post, Detroit Free Press, Chicago Sun Times, Associated Press) that say the McCain campaign has "greatly exaggerated" the Obama connection to Ayers. I tend to agree with the overwhelming amount of research done by intelligent people rather than the desperate Republicans.

As far as saying Obama wants to abandon the war on terror, that's a false statement as well. He wants to redirect the war on terror to where the terrorists are. Another scare tactic that will not work. The latest polls suggest that Obama is going to win, and win big.

AmberDenae said...

Yes, I believe that we will agree to disagree which is fine.

I respect your opinions and beliefs. I still feel the same way about Obama and the fact is, he does scare me. It's not that the republicans are desperate, it's reality and truth. Things as huge as that don't just slip under the rug for me or any other conservative for that matter. His connections are a very very HUGE deal because it shows the type of people he associates himself with. His "mentor" is enough to make me question his beliefs. A mentor is someone who pours into you and someone who speaks into your life and that man is insane! I dunno, there is really no way of convincing me that the McCain has "exaggerated" these connections. I don't think there is anything to be exaggerated, these are very alarming facts that deserve attention.

I do enjoy debating, obviously. I am very vocal with my opinions but do not force them on anyone. Not trying to do that here. I find it interesting and yeah. Haha, I really hope I'm not coming across as a b****.

Jennifer said...

I doubt anyone has ever forced an opinion on me! That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the back and forth though. Hey Lori, is it to late to chuck my teaching career and become a lawyer?!

When I said "desperate Republicans" I wasn't referring to you specifically, I was referring to the McCain campaign. At this point in the election, McCain realizes he is close to losing and he is pulling out every trick he can, including the terrorist scare card. The NY Times ran an editorial this week calling the McCain campaign the most appalling campaign in recent memory. The American people have been down this road before with the Republicans and this time? We're smarter. We have an economic crisis, two wars, and ongoing nuclear and terrorist threats to distract us from negative campaigning.

Lori Anne Haskell said...

Jenn, yes, please, become an atty. You would rock at it! :).

And Amber, I don't think you are a bitch at all! hehe.

AmberDenae said...

Haha, thanks Lori!